WiFi hack is a bit easy nowadays due to lot’s of tools available on Internet some routers who have low security can be a victim of Wifi hack. Enabling Encryption keys do secure data but if your password is weak you may be in a trouble. Learn how to secure wifi by following simple steps to avoid problems
But as hacking a router is not more difficult. Any user with a little knowledge of networking and Kali Linux commands of Wifi hacking can easily do Wifi hack on your router and bypass your security, if you’ve a low secured password. Make your you at least use a good wifi password which will enhance your Wifi security.
Wifi router is an important gadget which is being tremendously used in our day to day life. Whether it may be office, home, malls, multiplex and even Railway Station. We can always stay connected to internet. As using a router over a mobile data connection is much beneficial as well as it’s fast.
A quick Guide on How to Secure wifi using Simple Steps
- Choose a Best location to place your Wi-Fi router
- Hide your Wi-Fi SSID
- Turn on mac filtering
- Change your Wifi Encryption mode
- Add special characters in your Wi-Fi password
- Reboot your router
Let’s elaborate all the points briefly
Which is the best location to install wifi router in a house ?
According to me if you’ve a house of an average of 550 square feet or more you need to make sure that you Install your Wifi router in such way that from any point of your home your at least get 2 wifi bars of connectivity.
And the only possible way to do this is to install the router in a centre point. I guarantee you, you’ll get more than 2 bars from anywhere in your home.
Installing wifi router where your desktop is located or TV is not a good idea, Because only that particular area will get a full range and other places will get a poor wifi signal.
2: How to Hide Wifi SSID ?
This is most important feature which everyone ignores and the culprit gets the advantage of it. Hiding your wifi SSID will add a extra security layer as the hacker won’t find your name and If he doesn’t get the name there are no chances he can try attacking your Wifi.
Check below steps on How to Hide Wifi SSID and Secure your wifi
Login to your Wifi router with the IP provided at the back of your router.
Enter the login id and the password (default it’s admin- admin). (Make sure you change the default ID and Password of Wifi router)
When the router’s configuration panel will be launched head towards network settings.
In network settings search the option for broadcast wireless network, and disable it.
NOTE: Your Wifi may restart after completing this process.
- Once the process is completed all your connected devices will have to reconnect to the router.
- AS disabling the broadcast id will not show your Wifi connection to the device (ex: mobile, Laptop etc.
- To again reconnect to your router from your mobile you need to turn on your Wifi, head towards it settings here you can find an option of Add network.
- Just add the network with the name of your router and enter your password and connect it.
- This will be a long process to do and it could take time but will help you to secure wifi from unwanted access.
3: Enable Mac filtering
Before Enabling Mac Filtering, We need to know what is Mac Filtering
MAC filtering is a security method based on access control. In this each address is assigned a 48-bit address which is used to determine whether we can access a network or not. It helps in listing a set of allowed devices which you need on your Wi-Fi and the list of denied devices which you don’t want on your Wi-Fi says GeeksforGeek.com.
Mac filtering uses a special mac address which is located on every communication device. This feature is used to allow the mac user or to block the user for connecting to the router.
Steps to turn mac filtering on to secure wifi:
- Every router has different settings to turn this on just find it in security settings and then search for mac filtering.
- Turn mac filtering on/ off.
- If you find it turn it on and add the mac address that you want to allow/block,
- To find your mobile devices mac address, Turn on your mobile Wifi – Go to Wifi settings – click advance settings there you can find your mac address, just copy and paste it.
- As this will only allow your trusted Wi-Fi users which will be able to connect to your router
4: Change your Wifi Encryption mode.
What is Wifi Encryption ?
There are 3 modes of security available in our router WPA ,WPA/WPA2, WEP. Change your Wifi settings to WPA/WPA2 or only WPA/2 if your device supports WPA/2 security as it is the hardest way for a hacker to crack your Wifi password.
Steps to change Wifi Encryption :
- As mentioned above, Every router has different settings, So login to your wifi router by entering the Ip.
- Enter username and password and click on WIFI settings.
- In Wifi Settings Search for Wifi encryption
- Change the encryption as per your requirement and save it.
- # Note: There are chances all your connected device will be disconnected.
- You need to connect again.
5: To secure wifi make your password extremely hard to guess
I guess you’re not one of them who just write name and surname or some dumb person to write the wifi router name as password or digits from 1-9.
Common, These are some of the easiest password which wouldn’t even need to be attacked. Consider using a strong password such as a combination of Uppercase – lowercase characters, Mix of Positive and negative numbers. Special Characters such as !@ß and many more. Make your password in such a way as if you’re a security expert.
Let me give you an example of toughest Security password.
- I’|\/|i|\| É\/1T ä ß|_ è — The password is of 24 alphabets which includes numbers, Uppercase, special Characters. Also there are some spaces in between. Copy the text and paste it in your notepad and move it with arrows.
- The password means I’ m Inevitable
That’s how you write a password, Now I know, Some letters don’t appear on keyboard, On that basis I’ve uses ASCII extended character. You need to select the number and press alt key + number
For example if you want to print ß. Type alt + 225 — You’ll get ß
Make your password this way, even a hacker won’t mess to attack you.
6: Rebooting your router:
Have a habit of rebooting your router as it refreshes your internet connection speed.
Note: Wi-Fi hacking without concern can lead up to 3 years if imprisonment and up to 2 lakhs of fine as mentioned in Section 66 of the Information Technology Act as per Indian penal code.
So this are most important steps to secure Wi-Fi
Note: I personally use this settings and it helps me to secure wifi
If you think any of the information is missing or wrong you can let me know in the comment section below.. Allow Desktop Notification for new articles. Till then stay tuned..
Also Read Articles:
- Also read how does bitTorrent works
- Trimmers for your beard (1st one highly recommended.)
- Quality Earphones in affordable price.